July 18, 2019
Smart Ordering Development Website
- Don’t require shoppers to register in order to checkout. Forcing them to create an account before they complete their order is just an additional stumbling block.’
- If you have several steps in your checkout process, show a progress indicator so the user knows exactly what steps they need to take.
- Include shipping prices which update automatically in the cart as the user adds more items or adjusts quantity. Free shipping can have a huge effect on conversions.
- Let customers know an approximate delivery time before they check out. Include tracking numbers if possible.
- In your confirmation email, include information on how users can modify their order before it’s shipped.
- Allow visitors to zoom in on a product to see its detail, as well as the possibility to see the product from different angles.
- Include video of your product to see how the item is being served.
- Test putting your order form on the same page as your sales letter, so that customers don’t have to click to another page to buy.
- Including miniature thumbnail pictures in your shopping cart reduces the likelihood of shopping cart abandonment (probably because it makes products seem more tangible).
- Put your refunds/return policy or guarantee below your checkout button instead of on a separate page or on a customer service page.
- Can you recommend other products that would complement what the customer just ordered?
- Cross-selling can be highly effective before an order is fully placed.
- How else can people order on your website? By phone? Fax? Catalog?
- Not everyone has (or wants to use) Paypal. Summarize the benefits of your product or service as bullet points before you ask for the order.
- Can you shorten the number of steps the user needs to go through in order to complete an action (like checkout, subscribe, order, etc.)?
- Offer bonus discounts at checkout. Offer free shipping or a percent-off discount to customers on their next purchase.
- Don’t require registration in order to buy. Some sites require users to complete a registration form in order to make a purchase.
- Be sure to offer a one-time, “”express”” checkout to minimize potential roadblocks.”